Diving into Data Science
Our Introduction to Data Science Course
We’re looking forward to launching the second in our series of courses for breaking into tech- this time round we’re shining a spotlight on data science/engineering!
This course is a brief introduction to the fields of Data, Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence. If you are confused by the number of bootcamps or potential starting points, then this course will serve as a useful foundation. We’re hosting a careers in Data event on the 7th June at 6.30pm where you can learn more abot career paths and this course! Just grab a ticket.
Once the course is over you should know:
- Basic programming in Python and Bash
- Key statistical ideas and libraries
- What kind of roles exist in data so you can filter your studies and go after what’s best for you
This is a 6 week course that will run between 26th June – 1st August. Every Monday from 6.30pm to 8.30pm on Zoom.
More about the Course
You will learn about:
- Coding introduction and suggested languages to learn
- Basic data analysis concepts and approaches
- Machine learning and mathematical modelling
- A coding assignment
- Exploratory Data Analysis assignment
- Final machine learning project
Learn collectively as a community
- as you will be part of a cohort we will host a private space in our online Slack community for you to discuss the course material, ask questions and collaborate.
About your Trainers
Yusra - Machine Learning Site Reliability Engineer at Google
Yusra is a software engineer and machine learning enthusiast with more than five years of experience working in software development and four years working in machine learning research. Yusra obtained her Ph.D. in Information Extraction from Max-Planck-Institut für Informatik; and her Master’s degree from Paris 6 University. She currently works as a Machine Learning Site Reliability Engineer at Google.
Junaid - Research Scientist at IBM Research
Junaid is a research scientist specialising in artificial intelligence and machine learning at IBM Research. His work involves integrating applied mathematical methods with open research problems in natural sciences and engineering. Before IBM, he has worked as a data scientist for a tech start up and performed large scale analytics for one of the UK’s biggest supermarket chains. A lifelong learner and adventurer, Junaid is passionate about how applications of artificial intelligence can be used to improve the quality of human life and solve open problems in science.
The application process only consists of one step- filling in our form and hitting apply! Once you have submitted your application you will hear from us within 2 weeks. Successful candidates will be notified between 13th and 24th June.
To make it easier for you to prepare, we have listed the application questions below. This gives you a chance to draft your answers beforehand.
What are you hoping to get from this course?
What first got you interested in data?
This could be an article you read, a problem you attempted, a documentary you watched or anything that inspired you to explore this career path.
What skills do you want to improve through this course?
What is your current role or subject of study if you are a student?
- From a Muslim background
- Currently living in the UK
- Over the age of 18
- Interested in a Maths based career but new to data science/programming
- You need to be able to commit to 1 session a week every Monday from 27th June to 1st August. The sessions will run from 6.30pm and will last approximately 1-2 hours.
Questions or need adjustments for the application? Email: email@example.com