Muslamic Makers strongly support the #BlackLivesMatter movement. The fight against racism and oppression continues and institutional racism upheld under structures of white supremacy is something that affects minority groups, but disproportionally, the black community.
The senseless brutalisation of black lives cannot carry on and we must demand justice. We condemn police brutality and violence, and call for accountability and justice to be served.
As a community of change makers, Muslamic Makers recognise that change begins at home and we all need to do better. We recognise that there are people in the Muslamic Makers community, from different backgrounds, who want to educate themselves, be proactive in their work as allies and make lasting change. We are prepared to put in the work whilst we stand alongside our black brothers and sisters.
What can I do?
- Have a read of Deborah Okenla – Founder of YSYS newsletter on what you can do is a business
- Read this incredible piece by Alex from Comuzi Lab on Resilience & Resistance: The power of the Black British Community
- Bookmark and work yourself through this resource
- Black and Muslim in Britain. A series of videos exploring being Black and Muslim.
- The Black Muslim Girl. A platform magnifying Black Muslim Women
- #BlackLivesMatterUK. A coalition of activists from across the UK who believe deeply that Black Lives Matter.
- Home Girls Unite: A support group for eldest immigrant daughters
- Coders of Colour: Enable more young underrepresented people of colour into coding
- Elimu International Empower young people from disadvantaged backgrounds to discover and develop their entrepreneurial skills
- Support and help black-owned small businesses: A great guide full of useful tips.